Keeping your smile safe with Invisalign for teeth straightening in Garland
Many patients at Perfect 32 Family Dentistry in Garland, TX ask if Invisalign is a safe solution for straightening teeth. The short answer is a resounding, “Yes!” In fact, Invisalign is not only safe, but it can also improve your oral health by reducing risk of gum disease, jaw pain, and more.
Understanding the risks of untreated orthodontic problems
One of the most common reasons for wearing braces is cosmetic. After all, most people do not consider crooked teeth attractive. However, you might be surprised to learn that orthodontic treatment can help prevent or correct several dental health concerns.
- Malocclusion, which refers to overbite, underbite, and similar conditions, can affect the basic jaw functionality. If severe, it can cause jaw pain and TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorders.
- Crooked or crowded teeth create hard to clean areas where harmful bacteria accumulate. This can increase your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- When teeth do not align properly, chewing can be difficult, which impacts your overall quality of life.
- Misalignment that creates undue pressure on one or several teeth can lead to fractures.
Braces help you avoid these problems, in addition to making your smile more beautiful.
What makes Invisalign different
Today’s dental patient has many options in orthodontic treatment. Traditional braces utilize brackets attached directly to teeth and connected by a wire. While the technique is effective, many people object to the bulky feel, dietary restrictions, difficult oral hygiene, and high visibility of these braces. Invisalign is a modern, high-tech alternative designed to resolve these complaints while accomplishing the same goal as conventional braces.
Invisalign braces are:
- Removable – The one-piece aligner simply slips over teeth. It can be taken out when you are eating, and for oral hygiene. Enjoy your favorite foods without worry when using Invisalign.
- Comfortable – If you don’t want bulky, heavy braces, then Invisalign is the solution for you. Aligners are made of light-weight, ultra-thin, durable plastic.
- Discreet – When you smile, people should see your teeth, not your braces. The makers of Invisalign agree, which is why they are made of transparent material, so they are virtually indistinguishable when worn.
- Predictable – Exclusive ClinCheck software enables detailed treatment planning, with three-dimensional imagery of expected tooth movement at every step. This allows your dentist to “preview” the outcome and adjust your plan for optimal results.
- Healthy – Have you ever heard of someone wearing braces for months, only to discover cavities or tooth discoloration when they are removed? This happens when teeth aren’t thoroughly cleaned, and plaque remains trapped around the brackets during treatment. Since Invisalign aligners are removed during hygiene practices, it’s easy to keep your smile clean and healthy.
Book an Appointment today.
Health conscious consumers are well aware of the risks associated with certain types of plastic. We are warned about the potential for chemicals leaching into food or water after short-term storage in BPA plastic containers. Understandably, some patients wonder about the plastic used to create Invisalign aligners.
If you are among the health-conscious consumers who want to know more about dental materials, you will be happy to learn that Invisalign aligners are made of non-toxic, medical-grade polyurethane resin. They do not contain BPA or phthalate plasticizers.
For many patients, a much greater concern is the nickel content in classic metal braces. Although allergies and sensitivities to many types of metals are possible, nickel is the most common trigger. In affected individuals, wearing jewelry or excessively handling nickel objects causes contact dermatitis. Similarly, intra-oral contact with nickel can cause inflamed eruptions known as lichenoid plaques. As a metal-free orthodontic solution, Invisalign is the treatment of choice for patients with allergies and sensitivities.
Is Invisalign right for you?
If you are seeking a comfortable, attractive, healthy way to straighten your smile, the answer to that question is most likely, “yes.” Invisalign aligners may be lightweight and comfortable, but don’t be fooled into thinking that they are any less powerful and effective than metal braces. From minor tooth alignment issues to major bite problems, virtually any case that is treatable by standard braces is also treatable with Invisalign. Very rarely, some very complex cases may require traditional braces. Typically, the treatment time and results are similar.
The best way to find out if you are a suitable candidate for Invisalign is to visit Perfect 32 Family Dentistry for an orthodontic evaluation and consultation. If you have any questions, or you are ready to book an appointment, please call our Garland TX office at (469) 804-5677.