Garland, TX, dentist provides pediatric oral health tips
Parents of young children often ask their dentist about the best way to care for their child’s teeth. Even those with the best dental habits as adults aren’t sure about what they should do to ensure their child has good oral health. Dr. Sakunthala Boppana has been helping her Garland, TX, patients of all ages for many years. She offers the following tips to pediatric oral health care tips.
- Start early– Before the first tooth erupts, parents should wipe their child’s gums with a cloth to remove bacteria. Once the child begins to cut teeth, a soft toothbrush can be used. It’s also important to visit the dentist at an early age. This helps the child become more comfortable with the dental team and checkup procedure.
- Practice good habits– Children learn by watching you. Let them see you brushing your teeth every morning and at night, show them how you floss, and talk to them about your dental appointments.
- Help your child– At some point, your child is sure to want to show off brushing and flossing skills. While it’s good to foster independence, it’s important to help your child brush and floss until you’re sure he or she can brush properly. For most kids, this is at the age of eight.
- Ensure good nutrition– You know that too much sugar can be harmful to your child’s health, but it can also damage the teeth. Try providing fruits and vegetables for treats and milk or water instead of fruit drinks and soda.
- Protect the teeth– As your child gets older and participates in sports and other activities, ensure that he or she has the proper protection for the mouth. Ask your dentist about mouth guards for contact sports.
To schedule an appointment, call Perfect 32 Family Dentistry today at (469) 804-5677.