GUM DISEASE TREATMENT SAVES TEETH IN TX
Gum disease is the leading cause of adult tooth loss in TX and globally. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) reports that one of every two American adults over the age of 29 has gum disease. “Prevalence of Periodontitis in Adults in the United States: 2009 and 2010,” a recent research study, estimates 64.7 million American adults – that is 47.2 percent – have some level of periodontitis, the advanced form of gum disease. In adults 65 and older, prevalence increases to 70.1 percent. Dr. Boppana helps patients of all ages in the Garland, TX area keep their teeth with effective treatment of gum disease.
WHY TEETH FALL OUT
Gum disease is progressive. It begins as gingivitis, with inflamed gum tissue. Without treatment, gums lose their attachment to teeth, forming periodontal pockets. Harmful bacteria penetrate deeper, attacking ligaments that hold teeth in place. Bone around teeth deteriorates as the body attempts to eliminate bacteria. Without this support system, teeth loosen. Meanwhile, bacteria also decay teeth, further compromising oral health.
ADVANCED PERIODONTAL CARE
Dr. Boppana takes a comprehensive approach:
- Deep cleaning to remove plaque and bacteria from teeth and gums.
- Pocket reduction with the removal of diseased tissue, smoothing root surfaces and sanitizing pockets. This helps to restore a tight seal of gums to teeth.
- Oral or topical antibiotics to clear infection.
- Guidance on daily home care to help you maintain vigorous gums. This may include prescription mouth rinse, and brushing and flossing tips.
- Monitoring gum health with frequent cleanings; quarterly or more often depending on your unique needs.
- Promoting overall wellness with advice on nutrition and gum-health supplements.
- Bone grafting and restoration of lost teeth with dental implants or bridges.
Early stage gum disease can be reversed, but bone and tooth loss from periodontitis is permanent. However, while you still have any of your natural teeth, it is not too late to seek treatment for gum disease. In the Garland, TX area, call Perfect 32 Family Dentistry at (469) 804-5677.