Tooth Extractions in Garland, TX
Dr. Boppana and her professional dental team at Perfect 32 Family Dentistry in Garland, TX are committed to helping you keep natural, healthy teeth as long as possible but some times its necessary to extract the tooth for your oral health or overall wellness. Patients who need extractions know they will receive compassionate treatment here.
Why Do I need to Extract my Tooth ?
Don’t let untreated need for tooth extraction cost your health or cause pain and embarrassment. Tooth Extraction may be in your best interest in these situations:
Risk of systemic infection
Toxicity from an abscessed tooth may spread to the jawbone or throughout the body causing serious health issues.
Advanced periodontal disease
Eventually, gum disease attacks ligaments and bone that hold teeth in place, and they cannot be saved.
When a tooth is broken below the gum line, or the root is fractured, it cannot be repaired.
In some cases, extractions are necessary for effective orthodontic straightening.
A patient may opt for full dentures, choosing to have any remaining teeth removed.
Wisdom tooth removal
Third molars can crowd healthy teeth, and sometimes cause severe pain. They may be impacted – not able to fully erupt through bone and gum tissue.
Types of Extractions
Performed by general dentists. Usually the area where tooth needs to be removed is numbed, loosens the tooth and removes it with the help of a forceps.
Performed by oral surgeons. The dentist will numb the area where teeth needs to be removed and makes a small incision(cut) is made into the gum line to remove the teeth. In very rare cases it might be necessary to remove the bone around the teeth or cut the teeth into half before removal.
- Dr. Boppana handles most dental extraction cases in her office.
- Patients are relaxed and confident in familiar surroundings and the care of the friendly staff they know.
- Dr. Boppana is happy to provide referral to a trusted oral surgeon for complex cases.
- Your well being is ensured by numbing the area with local anesthesia and nitrous oxide sedation. Commonly known as “laughing gas,” nitrous oxide is inhaled.
- You remain conscious, but calm and unconcerned about numbing or the extraction procedure.
Post Procedure Care Instructions
Dr. Boppana will provide details instructions on how to take care of the tooth area.
- Anti inflammatory drugs like Advil, Ibuprofen are suggested for pain relief
- Surgical extractions are more painful and Dr might suggest prescription medication.
- Reduce the inflammation by putting an Ice Pack.
- Eat soft and cold food for 24 hours.
- Risen the area with salt water.
- Do not smoke or spit or use a straw after surgery
Risks of tooth Extractions
Not forming of blood clot or breaking of a blood clot, usually called dry socket is the most common risk. About 3% to 4% of patients develop dry socket after extractions. Dry socket can be very painful as the bone is exposed. If you experience dry socket treat with a medicated dressing to stop the pain and encourage healing.
Although not common, some times the area around the extraction can get infected and needs anti-bio-tic treatment.
For uneventful extractions and speedy healing with a gentle touch, trust the dentist in Garland, TX Dr. Boppana. New Patients are welcome at our dental clinic.