PATIENTS IN GARLAND, TX GET YEARS OF BEAUTIFUL SMILES BY CARING FOR DENTAL VENEERS PROPERLY
Congratulations on improving your smile with dental veneers or considering doing so! Veneers are a great way to beautify your smile and give your confidence a big boost. A few simple lifestyle adjustments help to keep dental veneers intact and looking terrific for a long time. Dr. Boppana at Perfect 32 Family Dentistry in Garland, TX shares this helpful information.
Veneers cover the front surfaces of “smile teeth” to mask imperfections:
- Enamel chips and cracks.
- Natural pits and bumps.
- Teeth that are worn down.
- Teeth that look too short or small.
- Discoloration that resists whitening.
- Gaps or uneven spacing.
- Mild misalignment.
Composite veneers are made of a pliable material similar to white fillings. Dr. Boppana conditions tooth surfaces, then molds the color-matched composite, reshaping the tooth. A special light is applied to strengthen the bond and harden the veneer. This chairside treatment takes an hour or less per tooth, and usually, no numbing is needed.
Porcelain veneers are made at an off-site dental laboratory, so typically two visits are required. At the first session, Dr. Boppana prepares teeth by removing a small amount of enamel. This snug fit at the gum line gives veneers a natural appearance and feel. Impressions are sent to the lab where a ceramist creates each veneer, a layer at a time. Veneers are stained to match natural dentition or to the color you select. When you return to Perfect 32, veneers are bonded into place.
CALL OUR OFFICE FOR MORE INFORMATION
DENTIST IN GARLAND, TX DISCUSSES CARE OF DENTAL VENEERS
Once your smile is transformed with veneers, you will want to keep it looking great. Both veneer options require similar care:
- Good home hygiene – Daily brushing and flossing is the most important thing you can do to extend the life of veneers. Use non abrasive toothpaste and a soft brush with a light touch. Give extra attention to the margin – the area where veneers meet the gumline – to avoid gum recession. Receding gums spoil the look of your veneers, and this area can trap bacterial plaque, leading to gum disease. At minimum, floss at bedtime. Pull the floss gently toward the gum, then move it up and down in a V-shape to clean sides of teeth. Slide it out, rather than forcing the floss past contacts.
- Protection from excessive force – While composite and porcelain are hard materials, they are brittle and may crack or chip. Avoid biting fingernails or hard objects. If you eat hard or crunchy foods, cut or break into small morsels and grind with back teeth rather than biting directly into the item.
- Wear protection – Do you play sports or engage in any activity that might cause a fall, blow to the face, or jaws to come together abruptly? Do you clench or grind at night? Dr. Boppana will design a custom guard from impressions of your mouth that fits comfortably and provides excellent cushioning.
- Minimize stains – Drink dark colored beverages with a straw to bypass veneers. This also helps to protect veneers from temperature extremes.
Are you ready to begin your smile transformation? Call Perfect 32 Family Dentistry in Garland, TX at (469)804-5677 to schedule a dental veneers consultation.